Tuesday, July 26, 2016

The Streets of Argentina

Queridos amigos,

Another week in Argentina! The funniest things seem to happen on P-days and then I have to wait a whole week to share with you guys!


Displaying DSCN0225.JPG
Last Monday, a family in the ward invited us over for dinner. After dinner, we were rushing home to make it back to our apartment in time (dinner is at 8 here). It was dark, and the few street lights that we had didn´t cast a lot of light on our path. My brain was focused on speaking spanish to my companion, not getting hit by a car, avoiding dog poop, and walking as quickly as possible. All of this seemed to be too much for my brain to handle, because with all the grace that I contain (which I´m sure comes from my dad´s side) I tripped and fell on the cold hard cobblestone sidewalk.

I had tears streaming down my face from laughing so hard. It took several seconds for my companion and I to calm ourselves and walk (slowly now) back to our apartment. I guess Argentina is giving me the opportunity to perfect my tuck and roll.

This week was much better than last week. I was more comfortable with the area, my spanish, and my purpose being here.

Thursday we taught our first lesson! We taught a man named Gustavo who is a lawyer. He first came in contact with the missionaries in 2012 and hasn´t talked to them since 2014! I didn´t talk a lot, but I was able to share some of my thoughts and feelings with him. He is out of town this week, but we have another meeting with him the first week of August.

Saturday was a great day. We had more success in that day than we had our whole first week. We went to a house of a lady (Luisa) who had listened to the missionaries a few years ago and had stopped for some unknown reason. She invited us in, and brought her son (Gabriel) into the conversation as well! It turns out that her son is a member of the church, but he hasn´t been to church for 4 years. We talked about the restoration and invited them both to come to church.

On Sunday, we got to the chapel, and Gabriel was there! We were so excited to see him! The members were so welcoming and many told him how good it was to see him again. After church the bishop pulled us aside and said he couldn´t believe that Gabriel came to church. They´ve apparently been trying to get him to come for a while now. The bishop really wants to help us with our missionary work. He is a convert (he was baptized 8 years ago) and loves sharing the gospel.

I love the people here, and I can´t wait to progress and really be able to converse with them. I hope all is well with you and your families.

Con cariño,

Hermana Chaffin

"...The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the eartrh, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regulasr form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator" Alma 30:44

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -Emerson

Please read John 17:3


"If you want your neighbor to see what Christ´s spirit will do for him, let him see what it has done for you" -Henry Ward Beecher

No comments:

Post a Comment