Sunday, June 11, 2017

Un Año

Queridos Amigos,

How time flies! This week will mark one year in Argentina. One year full of trials, challenges, lessons, heartaches, laughter, love, and much more.


My life has completely changed in this past year. There are no words to describe it, but I´ll try to explain it with a poem that my companion Hermana Medford shared with me a while back.

A mission is a strange experience
It´s a trial and a test
A mission throws at you the worst
Yet, teaches you the best
I´ve never been so happy,
I´ve never been so depressed.
I´ve never felt so forsaken,
I´ve never felt so blessed.
I´ve never been so confused,
Things have never been so clear.
I´ve never felt my Heavenly Father so distant,
He´s never been so near.
I´ve never been so discouraged,
I´ve never been so full of hope.
I feel I could go on forever,
I think I´ve come to the end of my rope.
I´ve never had it quite so easy
I´ve never had it quite so tough
Things have never been so smooth,
Things have never been so rough
I´ve never traveled through more valleys,
I´ve never ascended more peaks
I´ve never met so many nice people
I´ve never met so many freaks!
I´ve never had so many ups
I´ve never had so many downs
I´ve never worn so many smiles,
I´ve never had so many frowns.
I´ve never been so lonely,
I´ve never had so many friends
Boy, I hope this is over soon,
Gosh, I hope this never ends.

Every single word is true. It´s full of contradictory phrases, but it´s all true.

I´m incredibly grateful for this opportunity and privilege to serve the Lord. This week has been one of the hardest ones of my mission, but it´s brought me closer to my Father in Heaven.

I know that I´m here in Argentina for a reason. I know that my message is true and that it has the power to bless the lives of all those who will take the time to hear it.

I love my Savior Jesus Christ. I´m grateful for the ability that we all have to repent and receive forgiveness.

I encourage each one of you to ponder where you are in the path of life. Are you continuing onward? Did you stop to take a breather? Do your feet hurt? Is the sun hot? Sometimes the path of life is boring. Sometimes we get pebbles in our shoes. Keep the end in mind. Don´t see the path as something hard and necessary to follow. It is something to be enjoyed. Learn to dance in the rain! Whistle a little tune as you continue your hike.

I promise that the Lord is mindful of each one of you. He knows you and He loves you. As His representative I testify that He lives. He is our Redeemer and through Him all things are possible.

I love you all more than words can express. Have a wonderful week.

Con amor,

Hermana Chaffin

"Never discourage anyone who continually makes progress, no matter how slow." -Plato


"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it within himself." -Galileo

No comments:

Post a Comment